Our Tea Foundations (TF) Series is designed to provide a pathway for those wishing to extend their appreciation and understanding of pure leaf tea. We want you to gain valuable, relevant and practical tea knowledge that will allow you to continue on your tea journeys with confidence.
The Tea Foundations series is comprised of 4 workshops (TF.1-4) and 1 practice-based unit (TF.5). Whilst these workshops have been designed to be taken together you also have the flexibility of joining individual workshops depending on your area of interests or the areas you are looking to learn more.
Within each workshop we will discuss terroirs, tea styles, tea processing, leaf grading, preparation and serving as it relates to a certain type or family of tea. As the topic within these Foundation workshops is very broad our aim is to provide you with an overview to encourage further exploration and research.
Professional tea cupping will be at the centre of the Tea Foundations workshops and you will be given the skills and tools to maintain a tea cupping journal throughout the workshop series and beyond.
These will be run in 2 half day workshops. Workshop 1 will cover TF.1 & TF.2 (3.5hrs) with Workshop 2 TF.3 & TF.4. (3.5hrs) Each workshop is $200 and includes a light afternoon tea.
TF.1 Tea Foundations 1
- An introduction to tea botanicals
- An introduction to tea cupping and recording your tasting notes
- An exploration of white tea. We will discuss this type of tea and some of the processing techniques to create white tea. We will look at the major production regions. You will have the opportunity to professionally cup a number of white teas from a range of terroirs.
- You will have an opportunity to review brewing parameters for white teas.
TF.2 Tea Foundations 2
- An exploration of green tea. We will discuss this type of tea and some of the processing techniques to create green tea. We will focus on Chinese and Japanese green teas due to their significance in the world of tea but we will also look at some Australian green tea examples. You will have the opportunity to professionally cup a number of samples of these styles of green tea.
- You will have an opportunity to review brewing parameters for green teas.
TF.3 Tea Foundations 3
- An overview of common tea tools and infusion methods.
- An exploration of oolong tea. You will learn more about this type of tea and gain an appreciation for the sheer diversity in the styles, processing, and craft necessary to create quality oolong tea. We will focus on Chinese and Taiwanese oolongs but will also look at some of the other growing regions creating these teas. You will have the opportunity to professionally cup a number of samples of these styles of oolong tea.
- You will have an opportunity to review brewing parameters for oolong teas.
TF.4 Tea Foundations 4
- An overview of teas chemical composition
- An exploration of black tea. You will learn more about this type of tea and some of the processing techniques to create different styles of this tea. We will focus on the major black tea production regions including India, Sri Lanka and China and we will also look at a couple of other terroirs for black tea.
- At the end of this workshop, you will have an opportunity to review brewing parameters for black teas.
- Provide some guidance on how to continue on your tea journey.
TF.5 Tea Foundations 5 - Tea Practice workshop (2.5hrs) $120
- The tea practice module has been designed to focus on the preparation and service of pure leaf tea.
- During this module, we will examine topics specifically related to brushing up on your skill set as a tea practitioner. These include water, water temperature, leaf quality, leaf weight, infusion times and teaware.
- You will have an opportunity to practice different infusion techniques including western style brewing and eastern style, gong fu cha practice. And we will discuss how good practices can be achieved with equipment you may have on hand or with little investment on key items.
- This is a hands-on workshop designed to get you thinking about one of the most important elements of tea, the preparation, and service.
We also offer an Intensive Workshop Series on Taiwan oolong tea. If this is of specific interest we encourage you to get in touch to register an expression of interest. The workshop presented by Tania Stacey of Cuppa Cha. Please refer to the course outline for further details here.
Kym Cooper is the owner of The Steepery Tea Co. (Read more about her here)